I love Mexican food. Before paleo, if someone asked me “what is the one food that you could eat everyday for the rest of your life?” I would say “a burrito.” Sadly, once you take out the tortilla, beans, rice and cheese to make it paleo, well… it makes me sad. However, I have grown accustomed to making my own taco meat and have repurposed it multiple ways so I can get a little Mexican flavor in my life!
So for Day 1 of the Paleo Challenge I made a big batch of taco meat (2 lbs vs. the 1lb I write in the recipe) and used it for 3 different meals. Usually 1 lb feeds the Mr. & I (he eats like 2/3 lbs and I’ll have 1/3 lbs), so I have to cook a lot at once if we want more than 1 meal.
- 1lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- ½ can (3oz) organic tomato paste
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs Taco Spice Mix (if you want to take a shortcut, buy the Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning Mix - I only use ½ the packet, but I think it's too salty & spicy)
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Taco Extras
- Romaine lettuce (chopped for salad / whole for tacos)
- Avocado, sliced
- Tomatos, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Pico de Gallo
- Egg (for breakfast)
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan
- Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes (until clear)
- Add ground beef
- Add Taco Spice Mix
- Mix together and saute on high until beef is browned (~5 min)
- Reduce heat to medium and add in tomato paste
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until thickened, stir often
- Take off heat and serve!
Paleo Mexican Taco Meat & 3 Different Dishes
#1: Taco Salad
Chop up lettuce, layer on the beef and add toppings! The Mr. loves avocado & extra spice so he loads on chili sauce. I love pico (and little spice), so I layer that on the pico and guac!
In a large saucepan, reheat up the beef (since it’ll probably be a leftover and cold), once it’s warm add in scrambled eggs and mix together. Place on a plate and add on pico, guac, or whatever toppings you want!
Yes, it is like a salad, but sometimes I don’t want a whole salad, so these easy tacos are a great quick lunch! I cheated and bought “Just the Leaves” from Trader Joe’s, which are giant romaine lettuce leaves. They’re perfect for lettuce wraps!