Early last year I bought an (overpriced) Breville Juicer thinking that juicing was the new “healthy thing to do.” All my friends were doing it; however, I was always drinking juice alongside my meal. My favorite juice was the Kale Aid (kale, apple, cucumber, celery, lemon & ginger) from Santa Monica’s True Food Kitchen. I attempted many times at home to recreate it, but multiple bunches of kale later and less than a liter of juice proved expensive, wasteful & a pain to clean! Sadly, my $400 juicer now sits in my garage unused and in its original box!
A few months later I saw a coupon on Fab for the BluePrintCleanse. My best friend always did this cleanse so I decided I’d try the 3-day one to “detox” before bikini season. Bad idea. Besides the narcolepsy, extreme hunger and mood swings, I didn’t feel any different. I actually felt a lot worse. To top it off before AND after the cleanse you pretty much can’t eat anything.
- Breakfast: Fruit – melon, mango, watermelon or other fruit (try not to mix fruits as it gives your digestive system extra work!)
- Lunch: Fruit again or any combination of the following: cucumber, avocado, leafy greens, celery – add some lemon juice & olive oil to make a salad.
- Dinner: Warm vegetable broth (low-sodium!) cucumber or avocado salad, mixed greens salad, arugula or spinach salad, lemon juice, olive oil (you get the picture)
Needless to say, I did not follow that menu due to extreme starvation & all that fruit = so much sugar. I think eating real foods is the key to my success, not drinking my meals.
However, the one thing that came out of it was my absolute LOVE for the cashew milk! Something about the cashews + agave + vanilla + cinnamon + filtered water was like a milk shake everyday! I ended up drinking it in the morning and night. It was so delicious! Cashews are also an excellent source of minerals, including copper, magnesium, zinc and manganese. I’m still on the team that believes agave is just like consuming high fructose corn syrup, so this is my version of the BluePrintCleanse’s Cashew Milk based of off Elana’s Pantry’s cashew milk.
Vanilla & Cinnamon Cashew Milk
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews (I buy mine at Trader Joe's)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1-2 Tbs raw honey (depends on your sweetness preference)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Soak cashews in water for 6 hours (overnight if needed, but no longer than 8 hours or it will start to ferment, which is great for cashew cheese, but not for milk)
- Dump water and rinse cashews thoroughly
- Add cashews and filtered water into a blender (Vitamix if you have one)
- Blend until liquified & foamy
- Strain with cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer (unless you like the pulpy texture)
- Place back in blender and add in vanilla, honey & cinnamon
- Blend together and serve!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge (lasts about a week... if you don't drink it all first!)